I have a doubt about the pluralization of irregular family names. What if the family name is an irregular plural form like "mice"? Should you say "the Mice" or "the Mices"?


2 Answers 2


The plural is regular, even if the surname would (if it were a word) be a noun with an irregular plural. So Mr. & Mrs. Mouse and family are the Mouses, Mr. & Mrs. Foot and family are the Foots, etc.


You definitely wouldn't say "the Mice," it sounds like actual mice. You could say "the Mice family" or "Mr. Mice and his family."

  • If you are referring to the unmarried females of the family the correct form used to be " the Misses Mice" but I doubt that anyone uses that these days. It still appears in books of etiquette.
    – JeremyC
    Commented Dec 22, 2019 at 22:37
  • 2
    @JeremyC that is correct but it is not limited to names that happen to sound like a plural. You would do the same thing with any family name- leave it unpluraled after a plural identifier. Such as “The Doctors Smith” or “the Brothers Karamazov”
    – Damila
    Commented Jan 21, 2020 at 5:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.