What would you call this in English? A Notch / Cavity or something else?

The half panel length needs to be corrected with the width of the "Notch"

Notch Cavity

  • 2
    Perhaps a slot. English speakers would know what was meant. Commented Dec 17, 2019 at 21:13
  • 2
    Notch or slot..
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Dec 17, 2019 at 21:34

1 Answer 1


Notch would be a reasonable everyday term, though it has many synonyms - cleft, cut, groove, indent etc.

However I believe the technical term in woodworking or masonry is a rebate (N. American rabbet)

The OED provides this as sense 1a of rebate as used in carpentry or masonry (clearly rebate has other meanings - including the obvious commercial one).

A recess or step cut along or into the edge of a piece of wood, stone, or other material and usually intended to form a joint with another piece or to receive a door, windowpane, etc.; = rabbet n. 1. In North America the more usual form is rabbet (see rabbet n. I.).

2004 Sunday Mail (S. Afr.) (Nexis) 19 Dec. h10 How to replace a small broken window... Remove old putty with a chisel and take out broken glass. Clean out rebate with a chisel to remove any remaining putty.

Under rabbet the following is given:

(a) A channel, groove, or slot, cut along the edge or face of a piece of wood or other material and intended to receive the edge or end of another piece or a tongue made specially to fit (now rare); (b) a rectangular recess made along a projecting angle or arris to form a step or shoulder. Cf. rebate n.2 Both forms are extensively used in joining or framing wood, the two pieces being commonly either in the same plane or at right angles to each other. In a double rabbet (in sense 1a(b)) the shoulder on one piece fits into the rabbet of the other. In Masonry, a rabbet (in sense 1a(b)) is often made to receive the edge of a door, window, etc.; in picture frames the rabbet receives the edges of the glass. (b). †(a) A tongue to fit into a groove (obsolete); (b) any one of the sides of a rabbet made in an arris; a shoulder, a ledge.

  • 2
    A rebate (rabbit or rabbet in UK too) is usually a longitudinal groove. A notched cut-out is a mortise or mortice (UK). Commented Dec 17, 2019 at 21:58
  • 3
    @WeatherVane also a rebate does not usually penetrate through the material. For example the part of a door frame into which the door fits is a rebate. The slot in the photo is one part of a half-lapped joint.
    – BoldBen
    Commented Dec 18, 2019 at 1:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.