The German adjective "hellhörig" (sometimes also "ringhörig") describes a badly or insufficiently soundproofed building or room; i.e. being able to hear your neighbors through the walls because they're so thin.

What's an equivalent English adjective for that?

  • The room is either 'noisy' or 'neighbourly' depending on how friendly one is with the aforesaid neighbours. – Nigel J Dec 5 '19 at 12:07
  • 4
    The hyperbolic "The walls are paper thin" is sometimes heard. – Edwin Ashworth Dec 5 '19 at 12:11
  • Google translate gives the perfectly legitimate "poorly soundproofed". – Jeff Zeitlin Dec 5 '19 at 12:12
  • Google Books has many written instances of thin-walled apartment - where in nearly every case the primary implication (the reason for mentioning it at all) is probably that if you lived there you could hear your neighbors through the walls. – FumbleFingers Dec 5 '19 at 12:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.