I have accidentally done an anglicism of a french word: "expérimentaliste", which I turned into experimentalist, before realising the word does not exist. I have looked up my issue, and found only a similar question on this forum asking what is a word for someone who loves to experience. My question does not concern someone who loves to experience things, but someone who enjoys experimenting with things. I have found no other resources, so I'm asking here if such a word exists.


1 Answer 1


Experimentalist is defined in the (paywalled) OED as:

  1. One who devotes himself to experimental research in some branch of science; one who is skilled in performing experiments.
  2. One who is fond of trying experiments, or who advocates new schemes.

The word is over 200 years old.

It is also listed in MW and Lexico.

  • I'm confused then, the word is underlined red when I use it online and in microsoft word. In any case, thank you.
    – FMB
    Dec 4, 2019 at 23:29
  • 3
    @FMB - Never trust the underlining demons. They are there to warn you that something MIGHT be wrong, but are in no way a valid indication that something IS wrong.
    – Hot Licks
    Dec 4, 2019 at 23:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.