This might be a little confusing, but is there a word, similar to "bounded by" (which refers to all sides) or "flanked by" (which refers to left and right sides), but meaning the "lower boundary of" or "the base/foundation of"?

For example, I want to write this:

"He looked at the lobby which [blanked] the ten story building."

Where [blanked] acts like "flanked" but on the bottom/foundation of.

Of course I can say, "He looked at the lobby which was at the base of the ten story building." or "He looked at the lobby at the base of the ten story building." but that sounds wordy or inelegant.


  • Maybe "anchored"? – Jim Dec 4 '19 at 19:14
  • I think it's weird because we don't know the guy's vantage point. I would use: which ran the length of the ten-story building. – Lambie Dec 4 '19 at 19:37
  • Or maybe "footed"? – Jim Dec 4 '19 at 19:49
  • But really, "He looked at the ground floor lobby of the ten-story building" seems much better ... – Jim Dec 4 '19 at 20:48
  • what do you guys think about "underlying"? "He looked at the lobby underlying the ten story building."--does that work/make sense? – romebot Dec 4 '19 at 23:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.