I'm trying to come up with the right term to refer to a "part" of a magazine. That is, one word that can refer to any "piece of content" within an issue of a magazine: the "leader", any individual "letter from the readers" (not the entire page of "letters from the readers"), any "article" or any other kind of... "content piece".

What do you call these? It can't be "pages", because a "piece of content" can be much less (or more) than one page.

"Entities"? "Content blobs"? I don't even know the correct word in my native language, so I can't translate it to find out.

  • What's wrong with "piece of content", why do you need a single word? Dec 2 '19 at 7:21
  • 1
    Section of the magazine? Dec 2 '19 at 8:52
  • "Item"? "element"? "contribution"? Any term is going to be ambiguous and will depend on convention within that publication - does it include advertisements? photographs (separately from articles or together)? cartoons? a table of contents (or part thereof)? masthead? graphs? side bars? do you group editorial notes and author biographies together with or separately from the content to which they apply? etc etc etc.
    – Stuart F
    Dec 2 '19 at 16:26

There doesn't seem to be a single catch-all term.

There is no such word on this thesaurus entry for Parts of newspapers and magazines, by Macmillan dictionary.

I also looked at a number of sources that explain the organization and structure of magazines. Here are two typical examples of those and of the words they use:

Parts of the Magazine
In each magazine, there are a number of items and articles, long and short, that engage and entertain readers. (source)

Structure of the Magazine
Magazines consist of four parts. Cover pages, front of the book, feature well and back of the book. (source)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.