Especially someone you live with, whether that be a partner, roommate, family, etc. I feel like there’s a psychological term for this. Like how we pick up little quirks in passing, or how the behaviors of someone we’re close to tend to rub off on us. There’s a term and I can’t for the life of me find it. “Influence” is as close as I’ve gotten but that’s not the word I’m looking for.

  • 3
    "Mirroring" might be what you're looking for.
    – user888379
    Nov 26 '19 at 20:08

I'd say "behavioral mimicry", though it's more of a biological term.

  • Hi Mel, welcome to our site. Did you make up the expression "behavioral mimicry" or are you drawing from existing knowledge? If it's the latter, please edit your post to add a reference and preferably a link. This will help distinguish what could be an authoritative answer (which we encourage, and reward with upvotes) from mere personal opinion (which belongs on a discussion forum rather than a formal Q&A site like ours, and is strongly discouraged). For further guidance, see How to Answer. :-) Sep 22 '20 at 5:09

Close proximity effect is the closest term I could find for this condition.

As per riskology.co: You’ll mirror the habits of the people you spend the most time with.

  • That does not seem like an established term. In sociology, there is something called proximity principle, but it refers to "the tendency for individuals to form interpersonal relations with those who are close by" and it, although related, doesn't exactly cover OP's scenario. Dec 7 '19 at 15:58

I'd suggest intentional mimic or unintentional mimic as the case may be

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.