They are going to do this surgery on the man. The man has right to be informed about the side effects of the surgery. The man is entitled to be informed on that. They don't give him that information. They ____ the man's right to be informed on the side effects. That is wrong. They should ____ the man's right to be informed on the side effects.

When we are talking in such contexts of such kinds of right or entitlements, what verbs are good to use?

On the one hand, do we violate, break, or contravene the patient's right to be informed on the side effects of his surgery?

On the other hand, do we satisfy, respect, or fulfil one's right to be informed on the side effects of his surgery?

Or maybe other verbs?

We don't know why they don't inform the man of the side effects; it can be because they are too ignorant, or for their own interests.

  • 3
    Personally, and speaking from Britain, I would use neglect and respect. Americans, I suspect may incline differently.
    – WS2
    Nov 22, 2019 at 13:50
  • 1
    I think the most idiomatic are (2) 'observe', or 'comply with' if one is being more clinical / legal-sounding, and (1) 'disregard', or 'violate' if one is being more litigious. Nov 22, 2019 at 14:05
  • @EdwinAshworth But we do not know that they did "disregard" his rights. Most likely, they simply forgot. I think the OP should tell us why he was not informed - that would determine the best words to use.
    – WS2
    Nov 22, 2019 at 16:03
  • 1
    @WS2: disregard: the fact of showing no care or respect for something [CED]. disregard: To show no evidence of attention concerning (something): conduct that disregards risks to others. 3. To treat without proper respect or attentiveness. [AHD] Nov 22, 2019 at 16:18
  • @EdwinAshworth neglect v. OED sense 2. transitive. To disregard; to pay little or no respect or attention to; to slight, leave unnoticed. Many other senses of neglect are given, similar in meaning. So I'll happily call it a draw.
    – WS2
    Nov 22, 2019 at 17:58

2 Answers 2


The doctors flouted the man's right to be informed.They should have acceded to it.

Flout means to violate a rule and accede means to agree to a rule.

See the links.



  • "Flout" seems far too strong, and suggests it was a deliberate. Perhaps someone simply forgot to tell him. Hence my choice of "neglect" - see my comment under the question. And "accede" conveys quite the wrong sense too, I believe. One "accedes" to a demand.
    – WS2
    Nov 22, 2019 at 13:57

I think all your suggested words are good. The two that came to my mind when reading it were breach and enforce.


an act of breaking or failing to observe a law, agreement, or code of conduct.

"a breach of confidence"

"they alleged breach of copyright"

synonyms: contravention · violation · breaking · non-observance · infringement · transgression · neglect · dereliction · failure to observe · non-compliance with · infraction · delict


compel observance of or compliance with (a law, rule, or obligation).

"the role of the police is to enforce the law" synonyms: impose · apply · carry out · administer · implement · bring to bear · discharge · fulfil · execute · prosecute · effectuate · force · compel · exact · extort · demand · insist on · require · necessitate · constrain

cause (something) to happen by necessity or force.

"there is no outside agency to enforce cooperation between the players"

synonyms: compulsory · obligatory · mandatory · involuntary · forced · exacted · coerced · imposed · demanded · required · requisite · stipulated · contractual · binding · necessitated · necessary · unavoidable · inescapable · obliged · impelled · constrained · dictated · ordained · prescribed · de rigueur

Definitions from bing: breach and enforce.

  • Both of these words seem inappropriate, and too legalistic, to me - though I am not the person who downvoted. My comment appears under the question.
    – WS2
    Nov 22, 2019 at 13:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.