We have these...

  • Morning, afternoon, evening, night, day, and it's like night and day
  • Midnight and noon, and high noon
  • Yesterday, today, and tomorrow
  • Earlier, later, and now
  • Four O'Clock
  • 2300 hours
  • Yesteryear
  • October, Wednesday, 1982
  • The Age of Wonder, The Pleistocene Era
  • Once upon a time, never, forever, forever and a day
  • You get the idea...

Is there a word for named moments or periods of time—one of the -nym suffixed words? I did a search and can't seem to find a word in reasonably wide usage.

This Q&A doesn't address my question (completely). A search on a term that made sense to me in the family of Latin-derived terms like demonym (which is fully documented) and retronym is temponym, which has been coined in technical circles.

At the least, it doesn't seem to have a dictionary definition yet.

1 Answer 1


The word chrononym is suitable.

Etymology A 1979: chrono- +‎ -onym. Noun chrononym (plural chrononyms)

(semiotics) A term for a specific period of time, such as "summer" or "week."


Your Dictionary


Smart Dictionary

  • 1
    Well, duh. That is so obvious now that you pointed it out. Thank you.
    – Kit
    Nov 21, 2019 at 22:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.