In all the examples I've seen they seem to be the same sound.

Examples of ə:

  • a in about
  • a in comma

Examples of ʌ:

  • u in run
  • o in won

I am trying to decipher the difference between these sounds but they seem identical to me. Is it because of my dialect (American English), or is there a very subtle difference that I should look out for?

  • It depends on your dialect. Many dialects of American English use exactly the same sound for /ə/ and /ʌ/ (I use slightly different ones, although I use /ʌ/ for comma). Some dialects of British English pronounce /ʌ/ with a vowel that sounds to me more like the one in spa. – Peter Shor Nov 22 '12 at 20:46

In English, the only real difference between these two is that [ʌ] occurs in stressed syllables, and [ə] occurs in unstressed syllables. There is a slight acoustic difference between the two ([ʌ] is supposed to be a tiny bit lower and possibly backer than [ə]), but it is so slight that it is virtually indistinguishable.

Also note that many full vowels become [ə] when unstressed in English (e.ɡ. [sɔlɪd], but [səlɪdɪfaɪ]).

(This distinction is only for English, in other languages these phonemes can pattern completely differently.)

  • The rule about the unstressed [ʌ] versus stressed [ə] does not always hold true. For instance "unfair" [ʌnˈfɛər]. But I would agree that the difference between the two sounds really is insignificant. – Benjamin Mar 24 '13 at 9:40
  • I'm teaching myself phonetics, and am really confused on this point. From what I can see on wikipedia, your answer appears to be wrong, so I guess I must be misunderstanding something. /ʌ/ is a back vowel, whereas /ə/ is central. I'm a speaker of British English (from the South), and the sounds are clearly distinguishable. I can also see how /ʌ/ gets replaced by /ə/ in some words that get unstressed, like 'but' being /bʌt/ when stressed and /bət/ when unstressed, but I'm guessing there are a lot of words where /ʌ/ is unstressed. 'Pickup truck' for starters. – Kit Johnson Mar 19 '14 at 6:27
  • I forgot to an include a link to the wikipedia page I was referencing: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_back_unrounded_vowel – Kit Johnson Mar 19 '14 at 6:51
  • OK, I think I've found the answer. In Many North American accents, the vowels are barely distinguishable. However in RP and other accents, they are clearly distinguishable. – Kit Johnson Mar 19 '14 at 7:16
  • However, I was wrong to call it a back vowel. It is a central vowel. From [wikipedia][1]: "Before World War II, the /ʌ/ of Received Pronunciation was phonetically close to a back vowel [ʌ]; this sound has since shifted forward towards [ɐ]". Also "In transcriptions for some languages (including several dialects of English), this symbol [/ʌ/] is also used for the near-open central vowel." So if I understand correctly, when talking about the English language we write /ʌ/ but should probably be writing /ɐ/. [1]: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_back_unrounded_vowel – Kit Johnson Mar 19 '14 at 7:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.