In the US, we call the place we go to watch movies a "movie theater" and then if I were walking into one of the large rooms with the movie, I'd call it either the screen or the theater. For example, the movie is in theater 8 or on screen 8.

I know in the UK that the building is called a cinema, but what are the individual rooms called?

  • Also, US usage might have the overall building a "cineplex" or "multiplex"
    – Jim Mack
    Commented Nov 5, 2019 at 17:20
  • 1
    The common term in the UK also is 'screen' (but always 'showing on screen 2' and signs showing 'Screen 2', never "I'm going into this screen"). Commented Nov 5, 2019 at 17:43
  • Here in Australia we're more likely to use the British term for things than the American term. I would say "cinema", or possibly "theatre". The major cinema chain where I last saw a movie calls the individual theatres "cinemas": the email confirmation says the movie was in "cinemas 6" (the venue has 8 screens).
    – nnnnnn
    Commented Nov 5, 2019 at 19:12

1 Answer 1


Usually screens:

Vue has 91 state of the art cinemas throughout the UK and Ireland, with over 850 screens.


auditorium 1 or house 1 might have been used in former times when cinemas only had one or two auditoria.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.