Like paints which are ok to eat are called edible paints. What is the term we can use for paints which are suitable for our skin?

  • This article from WorldSafety simply uses 'safe for the skin', giving a hint that no single-word term is available: << These products are FDA approved so they are safe for the skin and won’t cause irritation when applied. >> 'Skin-safe' seems to follow the rules for productive extending of the lexis, but those who say that it's therefore a word never seem to provide authoritative references for such a claim. Appearance in reputable dictionaries / articles is the best guide for wordness. Commented Nov 1, 2019 at 12:40
  • 2
    Body paint could also work.
    – Justin
    Commented Nov 1, 2019 at 12:56
  • @EdwinAshworth Thanks ... Commented Nov 4, 2019 at 12:47

1 Answer 1


It’s called body paint. Paints that can also be used on your face (which is more sensitive) are sometimes more specifically called face and body paints.

For example:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.