Is it nonboldface? Is bold's antonym nonbold? Is it unemboldened? Is it hyphenated? What word do I use to mean text that is not in boldface style?

  • See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_weight#Weight
    – tenfour
    Dec 14, 2011 at 22:12
  • 2
    Boldface, italic, underlined, etc., are all variations to "normal" type, so that's effectively the antonym for all of them. If you really need an antonym for boldface, it should probably be non-boldface, but most people would be glad to settle for non-bold. Dec 14, 2011 at 22:14
  • I have seen lightface used for not boldface.
    – GEdgar
    Dec 14, 2011 at 22:55

3 Answers 3


Roman is the technical term for non-bold, non-italic.

Bold refers to the weight of a typeface. A non-bold typeface, regardless of any other properties, is called light.

  • 4
    You're biased! I can tell by your name.
    – tenfour
    Dec 14, 2011 at 22:21
  • @tenfour: What do you mean?
    – CesarGon
    Dec 14, 2011 at 22:22
  • 1
    @CesarGon: Julius Caesar was a Roman :)
    – Hugo
    Dec 14, 2011 at 23:01
  • According to Wikipedia, apparently the following are acceptable: Normal / regular / roman / plain
    – Dave
    Dec 15, 2011 at 15:11
  • @Hugo, tenfour: Oh, I see. Duh.
    – CesarGon
    Dec 15, 2011 at 19:13

I would call this type of text simple or plain. However, I don't think this is an antonym for boldface. It is just text which isn't bold-faced, italicised or underlined.


Apart from the answers given above, I would like to provide one. A Non-bold type face is often also called as a regular type face.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.