Is there a term for a street that has no adjoining sidewalk and is instead intended (the street itself) for vehicles and pedestrians to share? Such a thing is called a רחוב הולנדי, literally a Dutch road, in Hebrew, but that term doesn't seem to exist in English; is there some other name for it?

To be clear, I'm asking about any street (or a residential street) designed for cars and pedestrians. Typically, at least in such streets that I'm familiar with, the surface will be different from that of a normal street, so as to call attention to its being meant for pedestrians also (and perhaps to slow cars down). I'm not asking about a pedestrian mall, which is meant for pedestrians only even though it otherwise may be just like a street: what I'm thinking of is for vehicles also.

  • There may not by anything more specific than 'road'. Holland is more laisez-faire on their pedestrian-vehicular boundaries. – marcellothearcane Oct 23 '19 at 19:57
  • It's called a really bad idea. Some forms of shared use are fine. Pedestrians and cars is not one of them. – Phil Sweet Oct 23 '19 at 21:17
  • @PhilSweet Research has shown that it is not a bad idea at all. 'Shared spaces' are gaining ground in the UK. And they are very effective. Gloucester city centre, for example. – Nigel J Oct 23 '19 at 21:23
  • In the US this is hardly ever done (outside of a parking lot), and hence there is no established term. – Hot Licks Oct 23 '19 at 21:40

In English it's shared space or home zone




A woonerf is a living street, as originally implemented in the Netherlands and in Flanders, the Dutch-speaking northern portion of Belgium. Techniques include shared space, traffic calming, and low speed limits. Under Article 44 of the Dutch traffic code, motorised traffic in a woonerf or "recreation area" is restricted to walking pace.

The term "woonerf" has been adopted directly by some English-language publications. In the UK, these areas are called home zones.


| improve this answer | |
  • Many thanks! Just what I was looking for. – msh210 Oct 23 '19 at 21:14
  • 'Shared space' is becoming more common. – Nigel J Oct 23 '19 at 21:21

We don't really have a word for this beyond shared roadway.

Most typically you'd see a sign that says:

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Generically, it would be a multipurpose road:

[Merriam-Webster] : serving or able to serve more than one purpose
// a multipurpose tool
// multipurpose rooms
// a multi-purpose cleaner

In other words, the road serves more than one purpose: it accommodates (was designed for) cars and it also accommodates pedestrian.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.