What is the word for someone who jumps from one artistic media to another but they never master anything. I remember a professor using it once and I just can't figure it out. (For example, Rob tried painting for 2 years, now he's into photography, but wait, he just started writing.) At the end of it all, he just dabbled here and there but isn't mastering any of them. I know the word has a a negative connotation. I'm not even sure if it even has to be an artistic related word, I just remember my art professor using it with that example.

2 Answers 2


Could the word have been dilettante? It doesn't necessarily imply several different media, but it means a person whose interest in (usually the arts) is only superficial.


Jack of all trades, master of none.

"Jack of all trades, master of none" is a figure of speech used in reference to a person who has dabbled in many skills, rather than gaining expertise by focusing on one.

. . . When abbreviated as simply "jack of all trades", it is an ambiguous statement; the user's intention is then dependent on context. However when "master of none" is added this is unflattering and sometimes added in jest.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.