Hello fellow stackexchangers! My student submitted a movie review where she wrote the film had made a 'contrast impression' on her. I corrected it to 'contrasting', but now I'm wondering: can one even say that? In my native tongue, we say something like 'twofold' or 'double', but 'twofold impression' is impossible, right? P.S. - I did not bother with context as I thought it would be pretty obvious what she meant: she goes on to write "On the one hand, I am fascinated by the themes..." bla bla, "On the other, the way they were presented made me just want to say WHAAAT?" - so basically yes, it's the way Barmar here understood it: I liked this but hated this.

  • 1
    "Contrasting impression" is grammatical and meaningful in certain contexts. But what did the student mean to say? A contrasting impression would be an impression that contrasts with something else. – Juhasz Oct 7 at 15:29
  • You need to provide more context. What was her complete sentence and what did she say before and after it? – Jason Bassford Supports Monica Oct 8 at 3:12

I think the word you're looking for is contradictory. Lexico has the following relevant definition:

1.1 Containing elements which are inconsistent.
‘politically he exhibited contradictory behaviour’

So your friend could say:

I had contradictory impressions of the movie. I liked the actors, but hated the plotline.

  • Thank you, I looked it up in other contexts, and I think that's it. Thanks. – Phi Kay Oct 8 at 12:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.