Example, I want to say something like "manual highlighting," to differentiate between highlighting something on the screen. A word to describe the process of using an actual yellow highlighter (a physical object). Is there another word for this?

  • 1
    "Highlight with a pen" seems like the best option, though it's more than one word. – Juhasz Oct 4 '19 at 21:19
  • 1
    "Manual highlighting" could also apply to on-screen highlighting, in the sense that one manipulates a mouse or uses the keyboard to directly control what is highlighted, as compared to, say, automatic highlighting of typos. – nnnnnn Oct 5 '19 at 3:30

You can use highlight:

  1. To mark (important passages of text) with a usually fluorescent marker as a means of memory retention or for later reference.

    • The spelling mistakes in the text had been highlighted in green.



  1. countable noun

    A highlighter is a pen with brightly-coloured ink that is used to mark parts of a document.

(Collins Dictionary)

  • Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat. – tchrist Oct 5 '19 at 0:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.