I'm looking for a general word. A few examples to help illustrate:

  • If a class has 10 spots and 4 people have registered, the class' ____ is 4.
  • If you're filling up a container of unknown capacity and it takes a while and someone asks on your progress, they may inquire about the container's current ____.
  • If a battery or capacitor is 50% charged, its ____ is half.
  • If a progress meter or a loading indicator hasn't progressed very far, its ____ is low.

The closest I've come up with is "fullness" (or "level" in the container example, though that's usually used along with a reference to the thing filling the container, as in "water level" or "the level of the dirt"). But those don't seem quite right. I think something more generic that could be used in these and other similar cases is what I'm after - any place you have a total and you're after the current amount filled, whether or not the total or the current amount are specific numbers or general amounts (like nearly empty or nearly full).

  • I would go with "capacity", but I am afraid the question will get closed for "lack of research" – Cascabel Oct 1 '19 at 15:56
  • 1
    I'd guess that this is a lexical gap. The usual questions would be "How many people have registered so far?" / "What's the take-up like?" // "How full is it?" – Edwin Ashworth Oct 1 '19 at 16:04
  • 1
    @Cascabel the word capacity came to mind, but I feel that can mean "how many/much can it hold total" and so could be ambiguous. As in "full to capacity". – jinglesthula Oct 1 '19 at 16:10
  • I am not sure there is a perfect word to describe this... The inverse seems easier: the class has six spots free (or six spots of free space ). In a technical context this is often referred to as the size of an entity, but feel this would be confusing in general conversation. – Brent C Oct 1 '19 at 23:22
  • @EdwinAshworth It may be a lexical problem. However, if such a word does exist, I don't know that the questions you mentioned would be any more or less usual (unless the word is a rarely used one). But if the word exists, I don't see any lexical gap in inserting it into the questions in the OP. If such a word doesn't exist, it should :) – jinglesthula Oct 3 '19 at 23:14

These are two different things and need two different answers.

A class's number of students is its enrollment. This is the number of students entered into its rolls or class list.

The fluid contained in a container is the volume of its contents. That is, the amount of space taken by its contents within the container.

Volume holds validity for the contents of many items. You could say volume of the class. But this would be a bit strange.

Of course, the most generic term would be contents. As this would apply to that which was contained in any capacity.

  • 1
    Volume sounds like the total capacity, where what I'm after is how full it currently is (out of the total). Enrollment is correct for a class, but I'm after a general term. The class and container were only a couple of examples where the desired word could be applied. – jinglesthula Oct 7 '19 at 18:33
  • @jinglesthula Volume is a measure in general of the amount of something. You're speaking of the volume capacity of the container. A 100ml beaker with 50ml of water still contains a volume of 50ml of water. – David M Oct 7 '19 at 18:36
  • true. I was conflating the volume of the contents with that of the container. What I'm after would be a property of the container rather than of the contents. In the container example, it would be "the container's ___" rather than "the ___ of the contents" (volume). The volume of the contents (say, water) would be the same whether it was in a container whose volume was equal to or double the volume of the water; but in these cases the ____ of the containers would be very different (100% vs 50%, or full vs half-full). I clarified the title to indicate I'm after a general term. – jinglesthula Oct 7 '19 at 18:50
  • @jinglesthula see my edit. – David M Oct 7 '19 at 18:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.