What's the word that relates to "phyllid" like "foliate" relates to "foliage?"

Phyllid: A leaf-like extension of the stem in Bryophytes


  • As in some community where the word "phillid" is well-known. Perhaps no one reading here belongs to such a community.
    – GEdgar
    Sep 24, 2019 at 21:40
  • 1
    Phyllid seems to be a truncation of phyllidium and I suspect they are the same thing or that they should be classed as the same thing. Therefore phyllidial might be the appropriate adjective.
    – Nigel J
    Sep 25, 2019 at 5:28

1 Answer 1


Phylliform is the adjectival form of the very similar word phyllidium, which was truncated to form phyllid. OED, "phylliform, adj.":

Leaf-shaped, leaflike.

Rather like foliate is used far beyond botany to describe leaf-like things, phylliform is also used to describe anything sufficiently leaf-like, like anatomical features that are shaped like leaves.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.