I'd like to know what is the word to describe students under the same advisor in graduate program, e.g. PhD program. Normally, students in the same department who attend the same classes are called classmate.

But I can not find a word for students under the same advisor in English. However, this exists in some languages. For example, in Chinese, it is known as 师兄弟 or 师姐妹.

  • In my university in the UK we refer to each other as 'fellow students of Professor X'. – JeremyC Sep 18 '19 at 21:36
  • That is too long. We can use 'same students of Professor X'. – user1006 Sep 18 '19 at 23:06
  • Advisees will do. – Xanne Sep 19 '19 at 0:23
  • (US English) I'm meeting another student in my group at 4 this afternoon. Professor: I'd like you to work on this project with another student in the group, of your choice. Aunt Dee, I'd like to introduce my groupmate, Alex. Hey, guys, this is Alex, who just joined Professor Ming's group. (The other students are in the same department and they know who Prof. Ming is, but they are working in other groups.) HOWEVER, if it's an experimental science, then it's common to use "lab": Alex is working in Professor Ming's lab. Etc. – aparente001 Sep 19 '19 at 4:16
  • Ok, I think 'groupmate' is close to what I want, but still not accurate because it does not include those who has graduated and left the group. – user1006 Sep 19 '19 at 4:39

Finally, I believe that I find the one in this case: fellow student.

  • Fellow student is good. Also labmat is common in some fields. Maybe also groupmate. – aparente001 Oct 7 '19 at 7:13
  • "Fellow student" could mean those on the same course or at the same school rather than with the same advisor. – Stuart F Oct 7 '19 at 10:17
  • How about fellowmate? – user1006 Oct 7 '19 at 15:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.