I'm writing as essay and I wish to introduce the 'father' character, by using an adjective to describe the nature of his role/name. In this book, the father is always referred to as just 'father', and his name is never revealed.

Ie: "In the novel, the ________ father..."

Is there a word for this?

  • 1
    You might want to complete the question, and include a sample sentence for where the word might be used. – KillingTime Sep 18 '19 at 5:32
  • How about just "the father" or "[character name]'s father"? – Robusto Sep 18 '19 at 21:54

Unnamed might be the word you're looking for.

Example: 10 Compelling Unnamed Protagonists in Literature

| improve this answer | |

You could also use "anonymous" -


2: not named or identified

(Meriam Webster)

"In the novel, the anonymous father..."

| improve this answer | |


The ‘eponymous father’ or ‘the one who is known by that name’ ie - ‘father’.

Or you could simply say ‘the character known as ‘father’...


| improve this answer | |
  • This is definitely incorrect usage. – eyeballfrog Sep 18 '19 at 22:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.