There's a word for someone that betrays, eg. the traitor and I wondered, is there a specific, single english word that means, "someone that was a victim of a betrayal"? So something that isn't broad and can be used for a variety of scenarios such as victim.

  • Not sure if there's a single word. Look into "betrayal trauma". It's a term often associated with victims of betrayal. – Michael Benjamin Sep 17 '19 at 23:42
  • You should say someone who not someone that. – tchrist Sep 18 '19 at 0:00
  • 3
    Betrayed works just fine. "The betrayed often find it difficult to trust again." – David M Sep 18 '19 at 0:56
  • The betrayer betrayed the betrayee? – user12211554 Sep 19 '19 at 18:34

Someone who has been betrayed can simply be referred to as "the betrayed".

This is similar to how you would say "the deceased", as in -

  • Half the services I've been to, the presiding reverend never met the deceased and still managed to say something nice.

Therefore, "the betrayed" works just fine. Taking David M's example from the comments -

"The betrayed often find it difficult to trust again."

  • Why the downvote? – Justin Sep 19 '19 at 18:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.