Is there a term to describe the impression of a insect that is formed if the same is crushed between the pages of the book. Or the impression of a mosquito that is killed in between our palms.

The Impression of an insert on a page

  • 1
    Give it 10,000 years and you've got a fossil.
    – David M
    Sep 15, 2019 at 18:26
  • 1
    It took guts to ask this question!
    – Kris
    Sep 15, 2019 at 18:31
  • Flick the insect itself away and what remains is a smudge.
    – Hot Licks
    Sep 15, 2019 at 19:09
  • I call it "fly squash". Sep 15, 2019 at 19:10
  • I see it as a "swatted specimen."
    – Kris
    Sep 16, 2019 at 11:18

2 Answers 2


I would call this a pressing. Pressing flowers between the pages of books has been a traditional way of creating keepsakes. Here's instructions on how to press flowers in books.

You've just got a more morbid habit of creating pressed insects.

  • But then it will include the dry insect too .. here I am perticular about the impression of the insect and not the dry insect.. Sep 15, 2019 at 18:56
  • @VishalPoddar that's one way of doing it. Another is in a heavy book.
    – David M
    Sep 15, 2019 at 18:59
  • @VishalPoddar I've added a link in my edit.
    – David M
    Sep 15, 2019 at 19:04
  • Pressings are done for entomology, rather than your everyday fly-squashing needs. Sep 16, 2019 at 21:19

A relief. I'm being literal and punny.


  • 2
    Welcome to EL&U, Nancy. +1 and I enjoyed the pun.
    – Robusto
    Sep 15, 2019 at 21:51
  • Relief is understood as a representation (in art) rather the object itself, though.
    – Kris
    Sep 16, 2019 at 11:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.