I am looking for a word in which you look at someone with your eyes such that you're telling them to remain quiet.

For example, you are in a serious situation and your friend tries to make a joke and you look at him with wide eyes, telling him to just shut up.

Is there a word for that?

Also can you guide me to a site where words for different expressions are given?

  • 2
    'She silenced him with a stare' is typically used (when it actually works). Sep 12, 2019 at 16:19

1 Answer 1


There's quell:

  1. Put an end to (a rebellion or other disorder), typically by the use of force. "extra police were called to quell the disturbance"
    • subdue or silence (someone).
      "Connor quelled him with a look"

It's often used in this context - you would give someone a 'quelling look' which would be the kind that silently tells them to stop what they are doing.

  • 2
    Don't know the reason for the downvote, but, +1.
    – Justin
    Sep 12, 2019 at 18:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.