I'm looking for a word that can be used to describe any number that can be divided by 100, without a remainder, e.g. 100, 200, 300, 400, etc. - does it exist? I was thinking of centurion, but that really refers to a person rather than a number.

  • 7
    Multiple of hundred. – Kris Sep 9 at 10:53
  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it belongs on a math site. – Xanne Sep 9 at 18:13
  • 1
    I think you'll have difficulty finding words for multiples larger than two. – Hot Licks Sep 9 at 23:52
  • 1
    @JasonBassford - Even. – aparente001 Sep 10 at 7:59
  • 1
    @JasonBassford - I was using even to mean divisible by two without a remainder. – aparente001 Sep 11 at 4:02

A Century. Etymologically indebted to Latin cent. E.g. a centurion had one hundred legionaries.

  • In bicycle races, century means specifically 100. For 200, it's a "double century." Can you show us how you would use the word to express some multiple of 100? – aparente001 Sep 11 at 15:26
  • Hi @aparente001. In Cricket, it would appear, per this link :- en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_(cricket) there are "... double (200–299 runs), triple (300–399 runs), and quadruple centuries (400–499 runs), and so on." But this convention probably becomes untenable once we get to higher multiples of 100. So in such cases, I cite the common usage in such historical references as, "... the 8th century BCE ..." per :- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_alphabet – MikeRoger Sep 12 at 11:19
  • @aparente001 for example, in a company, the 100th, 200th, 300th, etc, employee at the company are all centurions, or whatever the correct word is? – Joseph McCarthy Sep 17 at 23:05
  • 1
    @JosephMcCarthy - Hmm. I guess we don't have exactly that word. Maybe Peter marked our first hundred employees, Chris our second hundred, etc. – aparente001 Sep 18 at 5:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.