In a paper, I need to talk about things "coming into and leaving" existence multiple times. I feel this phrase is clumsy and there are definitely better ways of saying it that I just can't think of for some reason. I have used "entering and exiting" existence, "being created and removed", and the others. What is the obvious, clean way that I am missing? Is there one? Comes into and goes out of?

  • 1
    Without knowing your context it’s hard to say what’s applicable and want isn’t. Materialize/dematerialize?
    – Jim
    Aug 26, 2019 at 5:27
  • I'd probably say "blinking into and out of existence." "Blinking into existence" is an idiom that indicates something being created out of absolutely nothing at all. "Blinking out of existence" likewise is an idiom that indicates something utterly disappearing from the universe without a trace. Aug 27, 2019 at 16:55

2 Answers 2


The first word that came to mind is transition if you considered non-existence and emptiness as a stage too.


a : passage from one state, stage, subject, or place to another : CHANGE

b : a movement, development, or evolution from one form, stage, or style to another

Source: Merriam Webster


You can say go in and out of existence or pop in and out of existence.

For instance, when scientists talk about quantum fluctuation they use the phrase popping in and out of existence. You can observe it for yourself by searching in and out of existence to find this or similar usages.

  • Is this idiomatic? Where have you seen this before? Aug 27, 2019 at 13:04
  • @marcellothearcane if you search "in and out of existence" in google, you can see countless examples.
    – ozgur
    Aug 27, 2019 at 17:45
  • See how to answer, specifically the 'Provide context for links' section. We're a bit different to the sites you might be used to. Aug 27, 2019 at 17:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.