I'm not sure if such word exists, but English is not my native language. The word I'm looking for describes the time when the clock hands overlap. In my language there is such a word, it is "cager", so the sentence

It is now cager.


It is now [the time when clock hands are overlapped].

This word is considered slang in my language, and I'm wondering if English has a similar word.

  • English is my native language and I don't know such a word. I'd love to know what language "cager" is however. Dec 7, 2011 at 2:55
  • It is Macedonian, written as „цагер“. I just figured it may have confused you as word which comes from "cage". "Cager" is just written in latin letters. Dec 7, 2011 at 3:30
  • 1
    Not that I make a habit of speaking ill of the dead, but this reminds me of a joke that went around a few years back: When is it bedtime at the Neverland Ranch? When the big hand touches the little hand. Dec 7, 2011 at 4:17
  • 1
    – Brendon
    Dec 7, 2011 at 5:03
  • 1
    I do wonder what's the purpose of this word - can you explain? Why does this exist in Macedonian do you think?
    – Julia
    Dec 8, 2011 at 4:21

2 Answers 2


When the clock hands overlap, they are said to be superimposed.

Asking someone calculate exactly when the clock hands would be superimposed -- the times of superposition -- was/is apparently used as an interview question.

  • Just be careful not to talk to any physicists. Telling them that their clock hands are in superposition might get them excited.
    – Polynomial
    Dec 7, 2011 at 6:46
  • Superimposed / superposition do not necessarily relate to the clock's hands (alone).
    – Kris
    Dec 7, 2011 at 9:39
  • OP: "Is there a single word when the clock hands meet?" Answer: "Yes, they are superimposed." Read the links. You understand that answers on this site are in response to the specific questions posed, yes?
    – Gnawme
    Dec 7, 2011 at 17:11
  • Superimposed by itself doesn't refer to the clock hands overlapping, but anything that overlaps. Therefore, it isn't exactly what "цагер" means. The correct answer would be that there is no such word in English, but since you are concerned with your answer being accepted, rather that what I feel answers my question better, here you are the rep. Dec 7, 2011 at 19:08
  • Actually, see my other comment, which noted that there is no equivalent slang term in English. If that's the answer you were looking for, then that's the answer you should accept.
    – Gnawme
    Dec 7, 2011 at 19:14

I don't know of an English word for "when the clock hands meet". Some phrases in use, in increasing order of Google freqency, are "clock hands overlap", "clock hands coincide", and "clock hands meet", none of which register at all in ngrams, even though the clockless phrases do.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.