How do you call the space inside trains?

I wonder how do you call the space inside trains like above. I found some words: stock, carriage, cabin, compartment, etc through dictionaries, however, I don't know the differences among the words.

Would you tell me the differences among "carriage", "cabin", "compartment" and let me know how can I say in case of the picture attached above.

1 Answer 1


"Carriage" is the entire train car, not just the interior, so that's not the right word.

"Compartment" and "cabin" would both work. The difference between the two words is that a cabin is meant for people, while a compartment could be for people, or for other things like baggage.

But most people would just say "the inside of the train".

  • Thank you. Then, A sentence like "All of the passengers, please wait for a while inside of this train." would be okay? Aug 13, 2019 at 3:23
  • 1
    @LucianoJeong Idiomatically, such an announcement would be something like this: Attention passengers. [Something has happened.] Please wait onboard the train. [Thank you for your patience.] The use of the more general onboard is more common than any specific descriptive term about the interior space of the train. Aug 13, 2019 at 4:39
  • 2
    Or "Please remain on the train"
    – Jim
    Aug 13, 2019 at 5:25
  • That's exactly what I want. Thank you Aug 13, 2019 at 5:35
  • "Please remain on the train" is more direct, so that's what I'd use. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.