My go-to resource, Etymology online, has plenty of information about "floor" as a noun, but not as a verb to mean "surprise" or even "knock over." I just want to know if it would be anachronistic to have a character from the 1920's use the term.

  • But Ety does say: "Sense of "puzzle, confound" is from 1830, a figurative use, from earlier sense of "knock down to the floor" " – Cascabel Aug 10 '19 at 23:28

From the OED to floor

In various figurative uses; colloquial:

To confound, nonplus; to flabbergast, puzzle. In schoolboy slang, to be or get floored: to grow confused, be at a loss, fail, break down.

As in:

1830 S. T. Coleridge Table-talk The other day I was what you would call floored by a Jew.

Early use of the figurative to floor predates a 1920 character, and use as such would appear to be appropriate and grammatical.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.