According to the American Accent rules, any T is pronounced as FLAP T when it comes in between two vowels that may be in a word or in between two words like "at any"....

So, Do American natives pronounce t of at in "at any ..." as FLAP T or Pure T ?

  • 1
    Yes, generally, between vowels American English neutralizes /d/ and /t/ and flaps them both. This is most prominent when the first vowel is stressed, like better, water, ladder, motor, written, etc. But it can certainly happen between unstressed vowels, like at a corner, automation; and also before stressed vowels like redacted, gradation. But that's in rapid speech. – John Lawler Aug 8 at 22:38
  • @JohnLawler so, will I be correct to pronounce T of at in "at any" or "at all" as FLAP T ? – user6844744 Aug 8 at 22:57
  • 2
    I have no idea whether you will be correct because I can't hear you. And I'm not sure you mean [ɾ] when you say "FLAP T"; it's voiced and it could just as easily be called "FLAP D". But if you listen to Americans, you'll hear /ə'ɾɔl/ for at all, unless the speakers are from West Coast, where /ɔ/ and /a/ are not distinguished. – John Lawler Aug 8 at 23:02
  • 1
    Yes, the t of "at all" flaps, because it's at the end of a syllable (as well as being intervocalic), and it's at the end of a syllable, because "at" is a word of English. Likewise, e.g., in "a parrot of mine". The alternative would be to resyllabify to put t at the beginning of the following syllable, "I don't care for this a tall", sometimes called "linking", and heard in some British speech. – Greg Lee Aug 8 at 23:35
  • And some pronounce It as a glottal stop. I think I pronounce It in all these ways under different circumstances. – Jim Aug 9 at 5:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.