Is there a single word for someone who CAN drink a lot? He is not necessarily an alcoholic, but when he drinks, he can drink everyone under the table.

2 Answers 2


Most of the words that come to mind are archaic, which I don't think it what you're looking for. Interestingly, in Benjamin Franklin's time, you could have said someone was "biggy," which I could see coming back into use. Other things you could call your drinker would be soak or toper. I can't think of any modern word that doesn't also mean alcoholic, however. Here's Franklin's list of related words: https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Franklin/01-02-02-0029


People, who can't hold their alcohol well, are called lightweight.

The antonym and the word, which you are looking for, is a heavyweight.

Obviously, these two words are slang and not very formal.

  • You would need to use this strictly in context, since heavyweight is also used in some sports. Commented Aug 5, 2019 at 12:49
  • There's 'hard drinker' too. Commented Aug 5, 2019 at 12:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.