In a paper, I need to mention the commonly-used “introduction, main part, conclusion” structure.

Is there a (single) word for describing this structure? It seems odd to write out “‘introduction, main part, conclusion’ structure” all the time.

Example sentence:

  • Sometimes papers with a strong investigative aspect don’t follow the “introduction, main part, conclusion” structure.
  • Sometimes papers with a strong investigative aspect don’t follow the __________ structure.
  • 1
    I've corrected spellings and the like. Is there a reason why a word like tripartite (of three parts) wouldn't work? If you don't like it, please edit the question to say why. Actually, please edit the question to include what words you have already looked up and found and why you don't like them. – Andrew Leach Aug 3 '19 at 7:31
  • @Andrew leach, because the middle part can be tripartite itself, requiring "fivefold"? – vectory Aug 3 '19 at 7:48
  • But I have to wonder, how do the papers deviate? Arguments can be structured to any degree of complexity, which either happens in the main part, or is omitted if the argument is known method that just has to be named. What area of research do you want to talk about? In many ways, a paper that needs to introduce a method, because it does not repeat the existing methodology, simply deviates from the methodology, and the structure of the report, article, survey, or whatever you have in mind, necessarily deviates. – vectory Aug 3 '19 at 7:54
  • @vectory The question does say "commonly-used". I think you may be overthinking it. I'm almost minded to suggest sonata form... – Andrew Leach Aug 3 '19 at 8:58
  • @AndrewLeach sonata form is a strong metaphor, indeed. But I was rather pointing out that the only way to deviate from three partition is X (?) if e.g. fivefoldness can be surmised under threepartition. I suppose OP already went with three partite, so there is no reason to be meta and criticize this sketch of a statement attempting to work out its meaning. I thought it was a neat opportunity to discuss structure for a sec. Even more off-topic let me note that Ger *Einfall "idea [sudden]" (cp "one fell swoop?) contrasts in pun with Zweifel "doubt" (second guess). – vectory Aug 3 '19 at 9:15

In the context of wanting to point out exceptions that are not necessarily bad, the single adjective to describe the structure to which you refer is 'conventional'.

There are very strong arguments for departing from the convention of leaving readers waiting to the end of a long paper to find out what your conclusions were, so it would be as well, in your context, to avoid words that imply that such a structure is 'normal' or 'preferred'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.