I'm translating an essay to English from Korean, and it uses the term hyangyoo jibdan, which means "a group of people who enjoy literary works". What's the English term for that?

(I've searched, but I couldn't find anything.)

  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because my understanding is that translation requests are off-topic for this Stack. Aug 2, 2019 at 19:00
  • 3
    I think book club can be used, even if the members aren't restricted to just books.
    – jxh
    Aug 2, 2019 at 22:07
  • 2
    @Jeff Zeitlin. The main question "What's the term for a group of people who enjoy literary works" requires no knowledge of Korean so I think it's valid. I would see the information that it's a translation as further context. I'm commenting, because it's something I am a bit unsure of myself. Sometimes I have questions which arises due to a translation, but are not requests for a translation. I'm never sure if I should mention what the original context was in case someone suggest it be closed.
    – S Conroy
    Aug 2, 2019 at 23:23
  • 1
    This is ambiguous. Is it the general kind of people who enjoy this or is it a specific set of a few people (and do they meet to discuss these readings)? Is 'literary works ' -any kind of reading, classics, comic books, newspapers, or just one special set of them? Add any details you can.
    – Mitch
    Aug 2, 2019 at 23:44
  • 2
    @HotLicks lol. If that makes it into a translated work, you will be hounded by the Language Furies to the end of your days!
    – terdon
    Aug 3, 2019 at 15:09

6 Answers 6


I don't know any Korean, but answering the question's title, I would call it a circle.
Lexico has this


2 A group of people with a shared profession, interests, or acquaintances.
His court became the centre for a dazzling circle of poets.

So you could say

My literature circle meets every Tuesday.



From Wikipedia's entry on Bibliophilia:

... a bibliophile or bookworm is an individual who loves and frequently reads books...

The plural is bibliophiles. Of course, this terminology may not be exactly what you want, if you mean a group of people who interact with each other, like in a book club. But other than a more casual term like "book lovers", it's the closest term available for someone who loves books.


I suggest ‘literary enthusiasts’. Which would cover anyone who is keen on literature.

If you wanted to be witty, and a bit sarcastic, you could describe them as the ‘literati’. Which isn’t really a word, but everyone will know what you mean, because it sounds like glitterati, which means, the elite, educated, upper class etc. Then, they’d sound like glamourous people who rush around to book events, drinking champagne and listening to authors. ...Which hopefully, they do!


  • 4
    What makes you say literati isn't a word? Did you look it up? See M-W. Your reference to glitterati seems misplaced. Aug 3, 2019 at 2:12
  • 2
    In fact, glitterati (and Twitterati and similar) were derived from the much-earlier literati. So literati seems like the historically-correct answer.
    – gidds
    Aug 3, 2019 at 20:43
  • Oh yeah I knew I was forgetting something
    – Jelila
    Aug 4, 2019 at 4:21
  • As an aside, I did coin ‘clitterati’ when a friend was describing a porno convention. It was remembering that conversation that confused me about where the heck did the original ‘ati’ word come from! Although, that too, on googling it, might be appropriate here, seeming to mean ‘women writers with a focus on sexuality’ and not... the meaning I created. Sniff.
    – Jelila
    Aug 4, 2019 at 5:16

I think it might depend on whether it's a group that interact with one another. I upvoted the "literature circle" answer, but if it is a group who don't necessarily know one another (e.g a group of people who write letters to a literary magazine independently of one another) I'd suggest literature buffs.


a devotee or well-informed student of some activity or subject: Civil War buffs avidly read the new biography of Grant.



A little bit of work with Hong’s Hangul Conversion Tools gave me the Hangul for your phrase; I had to transliterate it in the JAMO-to-KR as “HyanGyu jibdan”, which gave me the Unicode hangul rendered below in the image. When I pasted the Unicode text into Google Translate, it rendered it as “Enjoyment Group”

Hangul for jamos HYAN GYU JIB DAN

  • So that would translate as an "appreciation society" then.
    – user221615
    Aug 3, 2019 at 22:00

Depending on context, it may be appropriate to say a literary salon.

Salon has a connotation of learning about and creating artistic work, as opposed to just enjoying it. To me it calls to mind the Paris salon that Gertrude Stein hosted in the early 1900's.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.