In Spanish, we have a word for a little toy that always stand up, "tentetieso".

I want to search for those toys in English, but I can't find the correct word or specific description to find them.

image of a children's toy, a clown, that cannot be knocked down

  • 19
    Step one: go to the Wikipedia article on tentetieso. Step two: select English from the language list. Done.
    – RegDwigнt
    Jul 31 '19 at 8:27
  • By the title, I was expecting a push puppet.
    – JoL
    Aug 1 '19 at 17:30
  • 2
    The more general descriptive term for an object that always "stands up" by itself is self-righting.
    – Deepak
    Aug 2 '19 at 4:31
  • it doesn't always stand up Nov 14 '19 at 5:28

I'd call that a Weeble Wobble or Weeble but I think that's a trademark usage of a roly-poly toy (as GileBrt notes as the generic term for one) much like Hoover is not only used for vacuum cleaners that are made by Hoover but other manufacturers too. Whether this is a UK convention though I'm unsure [Judging from comments it's AmE too].

I'm also certain that somewhere I've seen a cartoon or kids TV character roly-poly toy that even says "Weeble Wobble" as it bobs back and forth. (Also Weebl)

  • 23
    Wasn't there a TV ad that said "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down"? Yes, found it :youtube.com/watch?v=WKcAWO_IznI Happy memories :))
    – Mari-Lou A
    Jul 31 '19 at 11:32
  • 4
    Weeble Wobble is the name in AmE as well. Jul 31 '19 at 16:58
  • 15
    Before reading this I would have understood "weeble" but not "roly-poly toy", FWIW. (I'm British.) Jul 31 '19 at 21:04
  • 4
    @EspeciallyLime Likewise, as an American. Jul 31 '19 at 21:15
  • 4
    @EspeciallyLime Same here as a fairly Commonwealth-contaminated American. Never heard of the other, just weebles.
    – tchrist
    Aug 1 '19 at 2:42

I believe it is called a roly-poly toy. :)


A roly-poly toy, round-bottomed doll, tilting doll, tumbler or wobbly man is a round-bottomed toy, usually egg-shaped, that tends to right itself when pushed at an angle, and does this in seeming contradiction to the force of gravity.

  • 1
    Yep, we called this a "rolly-polly doll" when I was a kid.
    – Hot Licks
    Jul 31 '19 at 11:35
  • 7
    I don't dispute that this is the "official" name but I (like the commenters here) have only ever heard of these things called weebles. If somebody said "roly-poly toy" to me, I wouldn't actually know what they meant, and they'd have to explain it. Aug 1 '19 at 8:56
  • 1
    This name is curious given that a roly poly specfically involves turning all the way over. So, they're called roly poly toys because they... don't do roly polys?
    – AakashM
    Aug 1 '19 at 9:55
  • 1
    If you told me you had a roly-poly doll, I would be very confused and wonder why you had a plush pill bug (northern US here).
    – David K
    Aug 1 '19 at 15:59
  • 1
    It's a roly-poly clown; it's a classic...sitting toy. Babies were expected to sit up and crawl after chime balls eventually... Tummy time meant your mommy was busy washing dishes or whatever. Times change.
    – KannE
    Aug 3 '19 at 8:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.