When I put a water bottle on the desk, it suddenly fell over and started leaking from the top. How do you express that situation in proper English?

  1. My water bottle turned over.

  2. My water bottle fell.

  • 1
    My water bottle tipped over. By the way, bottles don't (usually) have a tap: the part that the liquid pours from is the mouth. – nnnnnn Jul 25 at 5:00
  • Fell over would also be acceptable. – Kate Bunting Jul 25 at 8:04
  • Your 10L water dispenser fell off the table and its tap sprang a leak. – Lawrence Jul 25 at 10:50

There is a proper way to express this situation at that moment. You could say:

"It's going to fall!"

(instead of, "It will fall!")

After it has fallen, you might say:

"My water bottle turned over." (which implies that it stayed on the desk, and that it somehow became inverted)

"My water bottle fell." (which is appropriate if the bottle fell off the desk)

"My water bottle fell over." (which is somewhat similar to the first sentence)

  • “My water bottle fell over” is not very similar to “My water bottle turned over”. With fell over, it’s a very natural sentence that indicates the bottle is no longer standing upright, but now lying on the table. With turned over, it’s a strange sentence that I can’t imagine anyone actually saying of a water bottle on a table, unless it suddenly turned itself around 180° by magic. If the water bottle is in water, it can make more sense, since things bobbing in water do sometimes turn over of their own accord. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 25 at 11:24
  • @JanusBahsJacquet You are basically right. I am going to change it to "somewhat" similar. – Patriot Jul 25 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.