Is there a generic term for a "needle gauge", examples being tachometers, speedometers.

Example picture

enter image description here

This is specifically a tachometer which measures RPM, but I'm looking for a word/words that indicate that it is a device which has a needle rotating around the center point, indicating some value being measured on the outside of the circle.

  • Note that "needle gauge" most commonly refers to the size of a hypodermic needle.
    – Hot Licks
    Jul 16, 2019 at 2:55
  • Yeah, that's exactly what google turned up for me, which led me to post this question.
    – James Hay
    Jul 16, 2019 at 3:40
  • I think a key missing word is "analog" which would distinguish such a device from the now-common digital meters.
    – fred_dot_u
    Jul 16, 2019 at 10:24

1 Answer 1


Each of these is a kind of meter. Your examples tachometers, speedometer give that away. They are commonly called gauges whether or not they are radial or round.

  • So if I wanted to describe this specific object, would it be correct to say a radial meter, to differentiate it from other types of meters? Or radial guage?
    – James Hay
    Jul 16, 2019 at 3:41
  • Radial to distinguish from horizontal or vertical gauges. Since the units are in RPMs, rotations per minute I would call it an accelerometer [sp] but more commonly known as a tachometer.
    – Elliot
    Jul 16, 2019 at 3:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.