What do people commonly call a room (in a residential detached house) with a desk, a chair, a computer, pen and paper, maybe a few bookshelves, etc.? You know, a quiet place an individual generally goes alone, to read, do work/homework or use the computer.
English is not my native language, and all the usual words seem wrong somehow.
- Office sounds too professional/clerical. "Step into my office..."
- Study sounds too academic / Sherlock Holmes.
- Not enough books to be a library.
- Not enough couches to be a den.
- Not public enough to be a lounge.
- Not enough mini-fridges to be a man-cave.
- Only goes downhill from there...
I realize I'm probably overthinking this and I should just go with office, but I'm curious what everyone will think/answer.