What’s the opposite of the word patricide?

I’m looking for the word that describes the act (or the person, to keep in similar vein with suicide, patricide, etc.) of a father killing his son out of malice.

I’m not looking for matricide, which I consider to be a related but not opposite term for patricide.

  • 1
    Isn't this easily googled? 'filicide'? – Mitch Dec 2 '11 at 18:11
  • 4
    @Mitch: how can "filicide" be easily googled when you don't know the word to begin with? – RiMMER Dec 2 '11 at 18:23
  • 3
    @RiMMERΨ: you want to look for all '-cide's? look for two different ones, patricide and suicide. It's in the first paragraph of the first google hit at the wikipedia article on patricide. – Mitch Dec 2 '11 at 18:28
  • We're really trying to avoid using this site for "single word requests." If you have a particularly interesting problem to solve, all we ask is that you put a bit of research and effort into the question. See: meta.english.stackexchange.com/questions/1654/… or meta.english.stackexchange.com/questions/2160/… – Robert Cartaino Dec 3 '11 at 2:29

Google Dictionary: fil·i·cide /ˈfiləˌsīd/ Noun: 1. The killing of one's child. 2. A person who kills their child.

  • Very interesting numbers from wikipedia: "A 1999 US Department of Justice study concluded that between 1976 and 1997 in the United States, mothers were responsible for a higher share of children killed during infancy, while fathers were more likely to have been responsible for the murders of children age 8 or older.[1] [...] Parents were responsible for 61% of children murders under the age of five; filicide is the third leading cause of death amongst American children five to fourteen years old.[2]" – Mahmoud Al-Qudsi Dec 2 '11 at 18:10

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.