What is this decoration called that's found around ceilings and doors, as shown in the images below?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • On a ceiling, it's called crown moulding.
    – jimm101
    Jul 1, 2019 at 15:03
  • 1
    @jimm101 in Brit it is a cornice
    – WendyG
    Jul 1, 2019 at 15:08
  • @WendyG or coving, if it is uniform (as per the photograph) Jul 1, 2019 at 17:25
  • You have a rope-twist moulding around the largest wooden panel. Jul 1, 2019 at 18:56
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because these are completely unrelated items that can't be covered by one term. The second one is structural.
    – Phil Sweet
    Jul 2, 2019 at 2:03

2 Answers 2


In general, those are moldings, also spelled moulding.

The one around the top of a wall is called a crown molding.

The particular shape used in that example makes it an (somewhat elaborated) ogee molding.

A molding slightly lower on the wall is called a picture molding or picture rail because it can be used to hang pictures from.

A molding about 3 feet above the ground is called a chair rail because it is (possibly) used to prevent the backs of chairs damaging the wall.

I don't know if there's a special name for the molding used on the doors. It could possibly be called a panel molding because it is used to visually separate the panels of those doors from the rails and stiles (the members of the frame that holds the panel).

  • It should be noted that in the US this is more generically known as "trim".
    – Hot Licks
    Jul 1, 2019 at 22:31
  • The moulding you call a 'chair rail' is also called a 'dado rail', at least inth UK.
    – BoldBen
    Jul 2, 2019 at 10:35
  • @BoldBen, I haven't heard that one. But I would expect some regional variation.Someone in Boston might call it differently than someone in South Carolina.
    – The Photon
    Jul 2, 2019 at 16:19

Both of these shapes can be generically described as millwork.


There are specific terms related to the position of the millwork in the overall fabrication, and terms related to the design of the millwork itself, but millwork covers all of these.

  • +1 but To be fair, this answer is a bit like someone posting a picture of a croissant and asking what it is and being told that it can be generically described as a baked good.
    – Jim
    Jul 2, 2019 at 0:17
  • True, but faced with water biscuit and an eclair, what other choice is there?
    – user205876
    Jul 2, 2019 at 6:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.