I have the impression I once saw a word's definition the meaning of which was exactly that, the act of forcefully pulling and twisting an object (e.g from someone's hands).

Another example would be if I was to break a branch off a tree, and just pulling or twisting it wouldn't be enough, so I should be doing both simultaneously.



Definitions including pulling and twisting follow (M-W).

intransitive verb (2):

to pull or strain at something with violent twisting

transitive verb (4a):

to pull or tighten by violent twisting or with violence

noun (1a):

a violent twisting or a pull with or as if with twisting

Example sentence found online (Pal Item dated June 9, 2019):

Violent winds downed trees and wrenched off tree limbs in a frenzy of nature at its most ruthless.

Synonym: wrest (M-W, English Language Learners Definition, 1 of 2):

to pull (something) away from someone by using violent twisting movements

  • That's the word, thanks – Ezequiel Barbosa Jun 30 '19 at 1:25
  • You're welcome; thanks for the vote. – KannE Jun 30 '19 at 4:55
  • 2
    There's also wrest. You can wrest something from someone. It's similar to wrench. – aparente001 Jun 30 '19 at 16:33
  • 1
    @aparente001, yes, wrest is in my answer as a synonym (because the question seemed to request that connotation as well). BTW, I'm searching for synonyms of bittersweet now...what a coincidence. Good luck with that one. – KannE Jun 30 '19 at 16:57
  • KannE - oh, I see it now. Don't know how I missed it.... – aparente001 Jun 30 '19 at 19:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.