What’s that word that describes the feeling when something you see/hear/smell reminds you of someone? For example if you go to the park and you see the place where you had a first kiss with someone and that place makes you miss that person? It isn’t something that you do voluntarily, it’s more like a thing that pops out in your head and you can’t get it out. (I remember my English teacher talking about it I just don’t know what it is)

“I went to the park today and that bench triggered my ____”

  • ... The duplicate expands on the title: 'Is there a noun that precisely describes the emotion of missing someone ...? Commented Jun 24, 2019 at 10:55

2 Answers 2


"reminiscence" comes close perhaps.


"nostalgia" may be the word you want:

nostalgia: a feeling that a time in the past was good, or the activity of remembering a good time in the past and wishing that things had not changed

  • more like añorar, no? I do not think there is a good word in English for this. Commented Jun 24, 2019 at 1:11
  • @Cascabel The word in Spanish would be añoranza: acción de añorar, nostalgia.
    – Gustavson
    Commented Jun 24, 2019 at 9:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.