Is there a word in English that denotes money set aside (or money given to the mother/father/parents) at the birth of a child designated for the upkeep of the child or as a gift to the adult the child is to become?

When you query the Google News corpus pre-trained model (3 million 300-dimension word vectors) using python here,

import gensim

model = gensim.models.KeyedVectors.load_word2vec_format('GoogleNews-vectors-negative300.bin',

# What word is to child as dowry/"bride price" is to marriage?
# "dowry - marriage + child" looks like:
model.most_similar_cosmul(positive=['dowry', 'child'], negative=['marriage'])

you get this as an output:

[('toddler', 0.8820212483406067),
 ('infant', 0.8791450262069702),
 ('childs', 0.8452366590499878),
 ('chld', 0.8431567549705505),
 ('chid', 0.8396517038345337),
 ('newborn', 0.836097776889801),
 ('children', 0.8355128765106201),
 ('anganwadi_worker', 0.8350832462310791),
 ('chilren', 0.8305007219314575),
 ('Child', 0.8303987383842468)]
  • 1
    Inheritance? Although I suppose that does not specifically connote money given at the birth of the beneficiary - it more strongly connotes money given on the death of the giver. It is not a traditional social pattern in the way that dowries are, so there is probably no specific word for the practice. Birth-money would probably be a good candidate to coin a new phrase.
    – Steve
    Commented Jun 16, 2019 at 13:35
  • I'm going to go with Heritage™ for now. Commented Jun 29, 2019 at 23:01
  • (BTW, you guys are of exquisitely high quality for a community website.) Commented Jun 29, 2019 at 23:10

1 Answer 1

  • trust fund

All babies born between September 2002 and 2 January 2011 got £50-£1,000 free from the Government to save in a Child Trust Fund


  • 1
    This is the most appropriate modern term (in US) that corresponds to the old-fashioned dowry. Older or alternate terms are legacy, birthright, inheritance, bequest.
    – Mitch
    Commented Jun 16, 2019 at 13:30
  • Trust funds do not need to be for the benefit of new-born babies or even children. Or even individuals. And CTF's have been replaced by 'Junior ISAs' in the UK. Commented Jun 16, 2019 at 15:08
  • There are other applications for trusts, but when money is set aside for a child it is usually in the form of a trust, with trustees taking responsibility for the money before the child reaches majority. "trust fund" might also be used informally, like "college fund", without a legal trust being involved.
    – Owain
    Commented Jun 17, 2019 at 16:55
  • 1
    Another term would be "Child support" (or maintenance or even just support). It is regular payments (e.g., monthly) as opposed to a one-time payment. Commented Jun 27, 2019 at 14:18
  • Legacy, inheritance and bequest generally need someone to die, whereas the question (and the answer "trust fund") assumes a gift by the living.
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Jun 27, 2019 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.