Is there a specific name in english to the measure between the floor and the ceiling of a building?

In portuguese, it is called pé-direito. That is, literally, translated to "right foot"...

  • 5
    It's generally referred to a "ceiling height". – Hot Licks Jun 13 at 1:38
  • 1
    DIY Stackexchange might be a good resource for you. – aparente001 Jun 13 at 3:04
  • 1
    @HotLicks Can also be the headroom in some contexts, particularly where there is no proper ceiling as in a roof space or loft. – BoldBen Jun 13 at 5:27
  • @BoldBen - I generally interpret "headroom" to mean the clearance between a surface on which one might stand and the surface above, as when standing on a table or in a confined closet. Literally it's referring to how much tendency there will be to bump your head (though the term is often applied figuratively, as when talking about a budget or schedule). – Hot Licks Jun 13 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.