A speech bubble points to the person articulating the speech. The bubble itself is a square, but what is the arrow that points to the speaker called?


1 Answer 1


This is usually referred to simply as the tail

From Wikipedia (but acknowledging that the article would benefit from better citations):

The most common is the speech bubble. It comes in two forms for two circumstances: an in-panel character and an off-panel character. An in-panel character (one who is fully or mostly visible in the panel of the strip of comic that the reader is viewing) uses a bubble with a pointer, called a tail, directed towards the speaker.

  • I've edited to attribute your quoted passage (which copyright regulations require) and add the caveat (Wikipedia is very good at acknowledging / estimating the truth-value of its claims), 330. Jun 12, 2019 at 9:54
  • Given that the "bubble" is also sometimes referred to as a "balloon", I might call it a "string".
    – Hot Licks
    Jun 12, 2019 at 12:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.