I have a reference picture of what I'm actually talking about, it's the.. coat/robe that the elf is wearing below. It's got like this tear-drop skirt, and I'm not sure whether 'coat' or 'robe' is more appropriate or if there's something better.


  • Fashion experts might well have a specific word for this. I wouldn't call it a robe, but rather a jacket or coat. A robe is usually not something to be worn in public or outside, and that looks like you would wear it in public.
    – Mitch
    Jun 7, 2019 at 12:51
  • Looks like it is modeled on the "tailcoat". Jun 7, 2019 at 15:50
  • @Mitch It's tough because "coat" seems to imply something heavier, whereas the item he's wearing looks like it's made out of silk almost. Thinking in a more fantasy reality, robes are worn outside pretty much all the time. But, with the pointed shoulders, coat is still probably the better choice as you said..
    – Madou
    Jun 8, 2019 at 9:09
  • 'Elvencoat' actually occurs on the internet, and some ... examples are of this style. [Google image search] Jun 8, 2019 at 13:49
  • It does seem similar to the men's jacket that has tails, except that the back part is all one piece. It looks a lot like The Little Prince's regal robe. Jun 9, 2019 at 4:44

1 Answer 1


As a hobbyist fashion designer and seamstress, there is no specific term for this article to account for the tapered hemline.

Any way you’d call this item, whether coat, sheath, etc, if you wanted to indicate it has tapered hemline, you’d have to expressly call it out.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.