I struggle with proper usage of articles in the following situation: I have a project for a customer, let's call the customer BankABC. Is the following then correct?

This is the description of the BankABC project. //I guess here BankABC acts like an adjective


This is the description of project BankABC.

  • The best version is "This is the description of the BankABC project.". "BankABC project" is a compound noun, two nouns acting as one. The second version, although grammatically correct, would refer to "Project BankABC" where it is capitalised and the official title. – Peter Jennings Jun 6 at 11:58
  • @PeterJennings thanks, and the other one cannot be understood as a project with name BankABC? Because I have seen phrases like "on page 4, behind door C" etc. But maybe that works only with items that are somehow grouped in a collection? – John V Jun 6 at 12:02
  • "the BankABC project" is understood to mean "the project involving BankABC" whilst native English speakers would conventionally hear "Project BankABC" as a project title. IMHO The phrase "Project XYZ" is often used for dramatic effect such as "Project Fear" (the title given to one set of arguments by the opposing side in a recent referendum) . – Peter Jennings Jun 6 at 12:19
  • @PeterJennings Thanks, so normally I would not use: We work on project ABC. But if there are 3 numbered documents in front of you, I guess it would correct to say "I will look into document 1", right? – John V Jun 6 at 12:22
  • Yes, that is correct. – Peter Jennings Jun 6 at 12:30

The first is generally better:

"This is the description of the BankABC project."

And you're right, the noun is being used like an adjective. This is called an "adjectival noun," or a "noun adjunct." See the following for more:


But the second version isn't altogether and completely wrong. As Peter Jennings points out in his comment, project would have to be part of the proper name of the project itself, "Project BankABC." Perhaps a goverment program teaching bankers how to read? Lol. Names like this aren't super common, they're used to sound a little more grand, a little more flamboyant, like something you would see in a James Bond movie, or something a politician would name something grandiose.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.