What is the series of letters used by typewriter typists to indicate that a typo has been made? It was formed by typing the letters on the row or column of the keyboard, and is I think split into two words.

  • Are you referring to the use of (sic)?? – Lambie Jun 5 at 19:29
  • 3
    I'm wondering if the querent is confusing 'typewriter typists' with 'hot lead/Linotype typesetters'; hot lead typesetters used to use etaion shrdlu to finish a cast for a line with a typo in it - such slugs were easily recognizable, and discarded. – Jeff Zeitlin Jun 5 at 19:36
  • 1
    (I say "used to use" because very little typesetting - if any - nowadays is done with hot lead; it's mostly [all?] digital.) – Jeff Zeitlin Jun 5 at 19:38
  • @JeffZeitlin Yep, could be what you say and yes, typesetting is now digital. – Lambie Jun 5 at 19:47
  • 1
    Perhaps qwerty12345 means the marks subeditors used to make in the margin next to the line containing the error. Wikipedia has only ^h^h^h^h, meaning 'delete the latter four letters. Their example is: Be nice to this fool^H^H^H^Hgentleman. I think that's a fairly recent convention. Try Googling "proofreading symbols pdf" then switch to Image View. Are THOSE what you're after? – Old Brixtonian Jun 5 at 20:31

I was looking for etaoin shrudlu, as posted in the comments by @Jeff Zeitlin.

Wikipedia page

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.