Is there a call word to describe someone who is talented in not one, but all the arts? (eg. singing, painting, writing, etc.) The only words I can think of are virtuoso, artist, and maestro, but they all seem to have to do with only one of the arts. Example sentence: I love Jeffrey! He's a true [word].

  • Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests
    – Hot Licks
    Commented May 23, 2019 at 0:16
  • (Give us an example sentence. It's not clear whether you want an noun or an adjective.)
    – Hot Licks
    Commented May 23, 2019 at 0:17
  • 1
    There's nothing wrong with "artist", though you could use, eg, "virtuoso". Any single word you use, though, will carry a connotation, so if you want to make it clear you should use a multi-word term like "master of all the arts".
    – Hot Licks
    Commented May 23, 2019 at 1:23

1 Answer 1


Although it's not precisely what you're looking for, the closest you're going to get is Renaissance man:

: a person who has wide interests and is expert in several areas


I love Jeffrey! He's a true Renaissance man.

As I mentioned, the noun itself doesn't mean arts specifically, so you'd have to qualify the statement if you wanted to make that clear:

I love Jeffrey! When it comes to the arts, he's a true Renaissance man.

Even that wouldn't necessarily mean every art, but it would certainly imply many of them.

If you are referring to a woman, and don't like the use of man in the noun, there is also Renaissance woman. (I suppose you could coin Renaissance person if you wanted to be truly gender neutral. Although that has no definition, nobody would misunderstand its use.)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.