For a project that I am doing, I need a name or word suggestion.

The premise is that a individual is an explorer, or a traveller on adventures to far flung places, and collects & finds unique items. More specifically furniture/decor items.

Any suggestions would be great!

  • Is there a reason you've tagged this question "middle-english"?
    – Chris H
    May 15, 2019 at 14:01
  • I have tagged as middle-english as I am interested in words that may no longer be common place. I am looking for something rather different. Thanks
    – Indy
    May 15, 2019 at 17:15

1 Answer 1


The word I see most often for this kind of person is "collector." That's not very specific, since the collector could be collecting anything, not necessarily fine decor/furniture. If you want to emphasize that someone really appreciates nice things, you could call him/her an "aesthete," which the OED defines as "A person who professes a special or superior appreciation of what is beautiful." Similar words include "aestheticist," "decorist," and "philocalist."

Since most of these words don't necessarily mean collector, you could use a sentence like this to make the connection:

Indy was an aesthete collector, searching bustling Marrakeshi markets and abandoned Scottish castles in search of the next great find.

  • 1
    Thank you so much Andrew, very concise. Aesthete is not a word I have come across often. Just the kind of thing I am looking for. Really appreciate it. Thank you.
    – Indy
    May 15, 2019 at 17:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.