Is there a special name for two phrases that have the same sound, but mean different things from each other? For example

Wishing well

Could be used in either the context of "I wish you well," or that of "I threw a coin a coin into the well and made a wish."

It would be something like homophones but with phrases. I googled "Homophone Phrases" thinking that would be the appropriate terminology, but only found one blog that agreed with me.

Does anyone know whether there exists specific terminology for this kind of phrase or I should just stick with "Homophone Phrase?"

Thank you!


HOMOGRAPHS are words that are spelled the same but have different meanings. Heteronyms are a type of homograph that are also spelled the same and have different meanings, but sound different.


  • I edited your answer to give an actual (relevant) quotation from the source you provided. Please do not provide link-only answers, as they would become meaningless if the link ever becomes unreachable. – Jason Bassford Supports Monica May 14 '19 at 18:05
  • I'm kind of confused... Your answer says Heteronyms are pronounced the same, but your citation says they are pronounced differently. Which one is correct? Edit: Just looked it up, apparently the correct definition is the citation. Thanks, Google dictionary entries! – phlofy May 15 '19 at 13:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.